Friday 20 March 2015

Second of 100 'Wenerid' sonnets by Skogekär Bergbo (1680)


You will I love until my life on earth quite ceases,
And from first glance my heart’s been yours, as well I know;
Though lovelier or rich, of higher rank or low,
Whoever it might be, there’s none me greater pleases.

Should Wenerid spurn my love, assuming God decrees this,
E’en so I still will love, though love I must forego;
Yet you alone are mine, for you alone I glow,
Hence may we never part till death from life releases.

To him whoe’er it be you are consigned by birth,
Let him take love from me. With you I wish to share it,
Though I too lowly be and you of greater worth.

Of him speak not a word! His love, may nought impair it!
But should love lack, then think of me who still am burning,
Recall, you’ll find none else who loves you with such yearning.

No comments: