Monday 29 August 2016

'Was wirst du tun, Gott, wenn ich sterbe?' A favourite from Rilke's 'Stundenbuch'



Was wirst du tun, Gott, wenn ich sterbe?
Ich bin dein Krug (wenn ich zerscherbe?)
Ich bin dein Trank (wenn ich verderbe?)
Bin dein Gewand und dein Gewerbe,
mit mir verlierst du deinen Sinn.

Nach mir hast du kein Haus, darin
dich Worte, nah und warm, begrüßen.
Es fällt von deinen müden Füßen
die Samtsandale, die ich bin.

Dein großer Mantel lässt dich los.
Dein Blick, den ich mit meiner Wange
warm, wie mit einem Pfühl, empfange,
wird kommen, wird mich suchen, lange -
und legt beim Sonnenuntergange
sich fremden Steinen in den Schoß.

Was wirst du tun, Gott? Ich bin bange.


What will you do, God, when death takes me?
I am your jar (when something breaks me?)
I am your drink (when taste forsakes me?)
Your clothes, your task that can’t negate me,
Your sense is lost if I’m not there.

Apart from me you’ve no house where
you’re met with words both warm and friendly.
I’m what from your tired feet slip gently –
the velvet sandals that you wear.

Your flowing cloak will cease to wrap.
Your gaze – which my cheek with warm feeling
and cushion-like would be receiving –
will come, search long for me, at evening
and place when sun's last rays are leaving
a heap of strange stones in its lap.

What will you do, God? Fear comes stealing.




1 comment:

John Irons said...

changes are likely to take place all the time!